Friday, February 4, 2011

The best in the room

I was at a meeting this week – and a person made a comment that I thought was a wonderful communications and leadership lesson. He said “I know I will not be the smartest person in the room, so my goal is to be the best listener in the room”.

The idea of “the best listener in the room” is a great leadership message and powerful communication tool. No one has ever griped “that guy listen too much!”

Whether we are talking with our people and customers – let’s remember that when it comes to making people feel important, connecting with them and finding out what we can do to improve the situation – listening is the best tool we have. If we were talking with someone do we want them to show us how important they are or would we rather they made us feel important? That is the power of being the “best listener in the room”.

A great, powerful, simple communication and leadership tool we can all start doing immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Father, husband, businessman, loves my family, community and country - appreciate what you have - it doesn't have to be this good